11. Describe 10 pet peeves you have. This could be a long post. These are in no particular order.
1. Push in your chairs! Really, I have no idea where this started. I really don’t remember my parents harping on it when us kids were growing up but pushing in your chairs is a huge thing for me. It looks neat, it’s polite and it takes you like, at most, 5 seconds to do it. Really push in your chairs. It drives me insane when you don’t.
2. Stating the overly obvious Do not come in my museum that has a large signs in the front and ask if you found the museum. Or don’t come in and ask if I’m open. Well, obviously. If I wasn’t, you wouldn’t get in the door. Stop being dumb people, really. Yes, weird tourist with the fanny pack, this means you. Use common sense and smart questions. If by chance I leave the door open on a whim ask how long I’m open, I’ll tell you. I’ll be honest and I’ll respect you more.
3. Use correct grammar Now, I’m guilty of not using commas and other punctuation in the right spot on this blog and other places (But this blog is for me not for anyone else). But “ain’t” isn’t a proper word. Please know the when to use don’t and doesn’t. I don’t care if you grew up in a small town and you don’t have much education. That isn’t an excuse!
4. Don’t act like you know it all If you know a lot or think you do, be humble about it. Don’t lord it over people because that is a sure way to make people, or me, hate you.
5. When you’re on country roads, don’t park in the middle of the road behind a hill. This is mainly for hunting season. This is the one thing tha I do remember my dad making very clear growing up. I grew up on a farm and I had to take country roads like every day. You don’t know what’s over that hill until after you get over it. There are no lines down the road showing sides, the road sometimes (or at least where I grew up) are wide enough for 2 vehicles. So when you park stupidly, I’m sorry I didn’t mean that. When you park so it’s hard to pass and where people can’t see you coming over a hill, you are potentially causing an accident. Park on the top of the hill to the side. Most pastures/fields have little entrances so you can pull in. Don’t do it where there’s a greater possibility of loose gravel.
6. Bangs I don’t mean all bangs. Just the bangs that choose to fall over your eyes preventing me from making eye contact with you during a conversation. There was a seventh grader when I was a senior that did that and she kept pushing them out of her eyes and I would get so mad at her because those bangs needed to be cut. I don’t care if it’s trendy, I can’t see by your eyes what you mean when you’re talking to me.
7. Awkward touching I am and have never been and never will be a toucher. I will resist hugs until I’m really comfortable with you. So when you put your hand on my shoulder to emphasize something or hold my hand while shaking it a little to long, you’re being creepy. That may be weird to some people but seriously I don’t know you, there should be no touching between us other than a short handshake.
8. Tie your shoes It looks sloppy if you don’t. This one I know stems from me learning to tie my shoes late, I think I was 8. but anyway, tie your shoes. It’s simple.
9. Use your blinkers Have you ever timed yourself on how long it takes you to turn your blinker on and off? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t take long. Now I choose not to use my blinkers when I’m on country roads and there is no one coming towards me or is behind me, not a big deal then. But when I’m in town or on the interstate or the 2-lane highway, I use my blinker. It’s safer that way. If there wasn’t a point to it, they wouldn’t teach it in drivers ed. Trust me, I remember learning it in drives ed like a decade ago.
10. Men in skinny jeans I have a male cousin that wears skinny jeans and it bugs me. Men in skinny jeans bug me. Personally if I had invented skinny jeans, I would ban them from being on men. Doesn’t it crowd your area? (that was tactful, I had a better line there) Wear pants that don’t conflict with your child making please.(unless you should be conflicted in child making which is a small portion of males that know what skinny jeans are.)